Tuesday 22 September 2009

Red Hot 1940s Dress

I took this little red 1940s dress for a spin at All Star Lanes bowling alley, where we looked flash despite being a bit dated – ASB is a ‘50s themed establishment playing ‘80s music (nope, we didn’t get it either!). I teamed it with a pair of pearlescent Mary Janes, which of course I was required to relinquish at the counter in exchange for some chunky black lace-ups. Hence, I’m sans shoes in these pictures.

To really do this dress justice, I went for a full vintage look by putting into practice the lessons I learned recently at Lipstick & Curls' hair and makeup class. Remarkably, my bold red lipstick stayed in place all evening (but then, I wasn’t kissing any chaps!).

The dress is a made from a deep red, raised pattern fabric. It has a little collar, sleeves that turn up at the ends, and gold button detailing on the bust. I like to wear it with the stud done up at the throat so that you only catch a glimpse of cleavage – cheeky!

Found at: Crouch End charity shop
Price: £12.00 (plus £10.00 to have some of the seams re-sewn)
Wearability factor: 9/10
Accessorise with: Flat Mary Janes so you can dance all night; a 1940s hairstyle courtesy of hot sticks; the new Maybelline 'Fatal Red' lipstick.


3 comments: